Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Brown Vikings at N.U. (SAIDAL SADIGI)

Moving to the United States almost five years ago was a huge step for me and my brother. Shortly after arriving, we gained the nickname the Brown Vikings. We are from Sweden. Many people found it hard to believe because they perceived Swedish people as having blonde hair and blue eyes. So our American friends decided the “Brown Swedish Vikings” name would fit us well.

Being an international student and coming to the U.S., our first initial thought was the people in Midland were very friendly and accommodating. For instance, I remember standing in line at a local grocery store, and I sneezed. Someone behind me said: “Bless you son.” We did not expect that at all. In my home country that would have never happened. People here are also very curious - especially if you are an international student. The cashiers would often ask questions about our heritage, if we played any sports and why we chose to come and study here. Eventually, we found this place very cozy and friendly.

I grew up in Malmö, Sweden. It is Sweden’s third largest city with a population of approximately 300,000. Everything is very close, especially if you live close to downtown - as we do. Everything can be found within walking distance, by bicycle or using the well developed public transportation system. We learned quickly that in order to move around in Midland, you have to own a car. Even though it’s a small town with approximately 50,000 people, it is still big area wise.


The adjustment to the U.S. was minor. The Brown Vikings quickly made friends and became engaged in many campus activities. Now that I’m a graduate student at the DeVos Graduate School working on my MBA, I am excited to help new international students acclimate to Midland and to Northwood University.

Welcome to my blog!

P.S. Please feel free to leave any questions, comments or concerns.


Thank you!

1 comment: